Religion in Fandom

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Religion in Fandom

Postby emily-goddess » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 pm

We all know fandom is full of atheists, and Pagans are well represented at Arisia, but what about other religious fen? What’s it like to be Christian, Jewish, UU, or any other religion in fandom? Do we feel welcome? Are we comfortable discussing our beliefs with other fans? How has SF/F influenced how we think about our religions? And what are some of the best are works or creators within our traditions?
emily-goddess

Re: Religion in Fandom

Postby kbfreakc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Fans who are fundamentalist Christians should be under no delusions that their beliefs are welcome. I found out that the hard way this last Arisia. Understand that there is no freedom of speech at Arisia in spite of the pretense that Arisia is all about Freedom.
EC Morris

"I know what you did,
because you did it to me."
'
kbfreakc

Postby dash » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Perhaps there should be a panel on being a fundamentalist Christian in fandom? (And fwiw, atheists and pagans and other folks aren't always fully accepted, either.)
dash

Postby Gecko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:17 pm

There are a number of Modern Orthodox Jews in Fandom, most notably Michael Burstein.
Gecko

Postby dash » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:36 am

I've heard there is also disproportionate representation in sci fi among Modern Orthodox Jews, with men being much more represented (relatively speaking) than women.
dash

Postby millerdan2009 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:05 am

Hi, all,

If it helps the conversation, I know of at least three Modern Orthodox women—Nomi Burstein, Hanna Abramowitz, and Leah Cypess, off the top of my head—who have or will regularly sit on panels at Arisia, so I suppose that's a mark in our favor . . .

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Return to Communities ideas