Poly when the sh*t hits the fan

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Poly when the sh*t hits the fan

Postby awexelblat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:21 pm

At the 2014 Arisia "Poly 201" panel there was an attempt to take up topics that are affecting more of our community members now that we're older, and it was somewhat successful. I think trying to do this within the "201" panel situation is too broad and would like to propose doing a panel to deal with serious issues that people are clearly facing, in a poly/multiple relationship context. Examples:

1. Death or long-term illness of a family member or a member of a multi-relationship situation
2. When one member of a multi-relationship situation becomes abusive
3. Caring for elder parents (to whom one may not be out, who might not even recognize their childrens' partners, when your partners are blocked from participating in the elder-care programs)
4. Polyphobia, as poly people deal differently with situations. (e.g. wife may leave bedside of sick person; their girlfriend keeps them company)
awexelblat

Re: Poly when the sh*t hits the fan

Postby awexelblat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am

Poly 301, as this came to be called, was the highest-rated panel by attendees at Arisia 2015. I'd like to run it again for A'16, and I have some interest in discussing abuse in poly situations. I have one or two people interested from the usual Arisia panelists and there has been some discussion this year in the poly community. See for example https://thebrunettesblog.wordpress.com/ ... -of-abuse/ which discusses how poly situations "uniquely contribute to abusive situations."
awexelblat

Return to Communities ideas