Fandom and Disability-Commenting on best Practices

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Fandom and Disability-Commenting on best Practices

Postby Selkiechick » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I have been on this panel for a few years now, and I feel like it has gone a bit stale.

It initially started as a sort of feedback and brainstorming session on how Arisia (and other conventions) might better serve fans with disabilities, and it has been very useful and informative. At this point, though access is clearly not something we can consider solved, not much came out of the panel other than that we do an ok job....

In the next year, based on my work with Arisia I am working on a Best Practices Guide for conventions, and would like to have a review and commenting session on the document, including not only feedback and areas for expansion, but also how the guidelines can scale up or down depending on the size of the convention.
Selkiechick

Re: Fandom and Disability-Commenting on best Practices

Postby Selkiechick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Since the SFWA checklist is out, we might talk about that, too.

http://www.kittywumpus.net/blog/2014/02 ... ey-matter/
Selkiechick

Postby LongHairedSfFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Selkiechick wrote:Since the SFWA checklist is out, we might talk about that, too.

http://www.kittywumpus.net/blog/2014/02 ... ey-matter/

In regards to this I would point out there are conventions that have done a great job on
accessibility issues and there are other conentions that have really droppe the ball. There are conventions that don't offer things like scotter rentals. And then there are hotels that are very badly set up for accssibility. (Like Dragon con, where the hotel entrances are much too steep for scooters.)

One thing that might be a good idea on this is fans with disabilities to write up personal evalustions of conventions and how they handle disabilities. Some cons handle it very well and
some don't and maybe it would be helpful to have fans who attend conventions with disablities to evaluate those cons so that fans with disabiilites can evaluate whether to consider attedning that convention.

Every year they come around trying to sell people on the idea attending World Con. Often they really can't answer how really accessible that world con is. (The folks from the world con bid are not disabled, so they have no clue as to what someone who is disabled needs at the
convention.)
LongHairedSfFan

Postby LongHairedSfFan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Selkiechick wrote:I have been on this panel for a few years now, and I feel like it has gone a bit stale.

It initially started as a sort of feedback and brainstorming session on how Arisia (and other conventions) might better serve fans with disabilities, and it has been very useful and informative. At this point, though access is clearly not something we can consider solved, not much came out of the panel other than that we do an ok job....

In the next year, based on my work with Arisia I am working on a Best Practices Guide for conventions, and would like to have a review and commenting session on the document, including not only feedback and areas for expansion, but also how the guidelines can scale up or down depending on the size of the convention.

I do think this panel serves an impprtant purpose, even though Arisia has done an excellent job on disabilities, there are problems that crop up from those who are not disabled or
don't think about the disabled. Things like putting a book seller into the galleria at the top of the stairs but having the ramp hidden and not publicized (Even though i'd been in the Galleria many times over the years I still didn't realize there a ramp to upper level where the books were sold.) There are also people who move chairs and block the "parking spaces" for wheel chairs. And then there was one point in the convention where my wife was working at the Art room and one convention attendee took it upon herself to sit in my wifes power chair. Needless to say my wife was not happy. And then there is my ongoing complaint about Arisia having a relaxacon at a hotel that is not handicapped accessible. (Thar particularly irks me since there are con com meetings that occur at Relaxacon.) Another complaint I have is that the handicapped rooms don't have enough electrical outlets to charge the scooter with. I
usually have to unplug something else to charge the scooter.

I would be intereseted in the review and commenting session on the Best Practices Guide.
LongHairedSfFan

Return to Communities ideas