Transgender Fen Under 35

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Transgender Fen Under 35

Postby dash » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:33 am

This is an arbitrary number, but I would like for there to be a panel that specifically focuses on the experiences and needs of the younger transgender fen community (including non-binary folk). When we tried to combine everyone into one panel last year, the 50+ group took over the conversation, some audience members speaking more than some of the panelists. Younger audience members hardly spoke, if at all. It would be great for that group to be able to get its own panel, and for there to also be a panel for younger transgender fen.
dash

Re: Transgender Fen Under 35

Postby Selkiechick » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 am

Sounds like this would be another panel to flag as needing a good moderator!
Selkiechick

Postby dash » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 am

Yes, agreed. I think both transgender panels need strong moderators!
dash

Postby Themiscyra » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:05 pm

Also in favor of this panel and seconded on the strong moderator.
Themiscyra

Postby LongHairedSfFan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:05 pm

I would intergect that their is much the younger trans folk can learn from the experiences of the older folks. They've dealt with it a lot longer.
LongHairedSfFan

Postby awexelblat » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:04 pm

I don't think the question is "Can A learn from B". One of the lessons I think Arisia rightfully learned some years ago was that there's a different conversation happening when younger fen talk to each other, and when younger fen run things aimed at their peers. If people want to have a general "Transgender Fandom" panel or kaffeeklatch I think that's a fine thing as well but if there's a desire and an audience for a panel by younger folk for younger folk then I'm in favor of that.
awexelblat

Return to Communities ideas