Blind Fans and Blind Characters

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Re: Blind Fans and Blind Characters

Postby millerdan2009 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi, all,

One thing that Professor Fizzle's final comment suggests to me is that there's a dichotomous view of blindness. On the one hand, science fiction—Daredevil, Geordi LaForge, Caitlin Decter in Robert J. Sawyer's WWW trilogy—deals with blindness as something to be pushed through, something for which science can compensate in fantastic ways (Daredevil's other senses, Geordi's VISOR, Decter's connection to cyberspace), and consequently, their seeing more than what is actually there gives them special powers. On the other, fantasy—Aughra, Destiny of Marvel's Brotherhood of Mutants, and the Graiae of Greek mythology—deals with blindness as somehow itself granting supernatural power and "second sight". This seems like something worth discussing, both in and of itself and insofar as how actually blind fans react to such depictions in speculative fiction.

Thanks,

DAM
millerdan2009

Postby Selkiechick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:23 pm

More than a metaphor

Blindness has been used as a metaphor in fiction for centuries, a way to talk about knowledge, enlightenment, ignorance and agency. For some people it is a simple fact of everyday life. We have moved away from using gender and appearance strictly as metaphor in stories (pretty good, ugly bad), are we ready to look at disabilities to be part of who people are, and start including them in more kinds of stories in more diverse roles?
Selkiechick

Postby dash » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 am

Selkiechick wrote:More than a metaphor

Blindness has been used as a metaphor in fiction for centuries, a way to talk about knowledge, enlightenment, ignorance and agency. For some people it is a simple fact of everyday life. We have moved away from using gender and appearance strictly as metaphor in stories (pretty good, ugly bad), are we ready to look at disabilities to be part of who people are, and start including them in more kinds of stories in more diverse roles?

Oh, I like this. I disagree, though, that we have moved away from "appearance as metaphor" in stories... there's still plenty of "light = good, dark = evil" out there, as well as problematic stuff involving body size.
dash

Postby Selkiechick » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Perhaps moving away might be a better description than moved away. What I was trying to imply is that appearance and gender, while sometimes used as a metaphor still, (and often badly, and cruelly) is not always used as a metaphor.
Selkiechick

Postby dash » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Selkiechick wrote:Perhaps moving away might be a better description than moved away. What I was trying to imply is that appearance and gender, while sometimes used as a metaphor still, (and often badly, and cruelly) is not always used as a metaphor.

That, I agree with. :D
dash

Postby dash » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:46 am

Bumping this thread for extra consideration in A'15.
dash

Postby Selkiechick » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 pm

This panel went pretty well last year. We might even try for a panel that incorporates more disabilities.
Selkiechick

Postby dash » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 am

Selkiechick wrote:This panel went pretty well last year. We might even try for a panel that incorporates more disabilities.

/nod/ Do you have a blurb suggestion?
dash

Previous

Return to Communities ideas