Sci-Fi and the Jew

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Sci-Fi and the Jew

Postby lightdanger » Tue May 28, 2013 2:05 pm

You would be surprise how much crosses over between the two. From Spock's Vulcan sign of "Live long and prosper" To Isaac Asamov and his subtle hints in some of his best known works. Like looking for the biblical references in your favorite stories why not try exploring ideas from this point of view.

The same ideas could be used, I assume, to have a similar panel on Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. I just use Jews since that is what I know the best.
lightdanger

Re: Sci-Fi and the Jew

Postby dash » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:47 am

Bumping this thread. Perhaps for A'15 we can have a lit panel focusing on SF/F with Jewish characters?
dash

Postby awexelblat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am

There's also extensive discussion (see for example here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=730028) on the Jewish origins of Superman's creators, analogies between his story and the Biblical story of Moses and how that all had to be wrapped in code-speak, given the era in which it was created.
awexelblat

Postby millerdan2009 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi, all,

And indeed, I posted an idea for a panel on Superman and Religion, given that Superman is also a Christ-like figure whose storylines often adopt from Sumerian myth even as his creators were Jewish, and who himself worships a Kryptonian sun deity. I would think that this commentary suggests interest in a panel dealing with the religious aspect of Superman, since—even though I'm Jewish myself and feel a certain amount of satisfaction in Siegel and Shuster's accomplishments—there's just So Much to talk about if we widen the net.

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Return to Communities ideas