Blurring The Lines: Paganism and Popular Culture

Communities is a track that focuses on the communities that many fen are also a part of (but are or can be separate from fannish interests). This includes among others the BDSM, homeschooling, Jewish, Pagan, poly, and SCA communities as well as other self-identifying communities.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Blurring The Lines: Paganism and Popular Culture

Postby Themiscyra » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Alan Moore met John Constantine in a pub. Grant Morrison rather famously believes that his work can affect - and has affected - reality. Mage: The Ascension may have introduced countless teenage gamers to a whole new way of looking at the universe, even if it does draw on older and richer schools of thought. How many of us have gone looking for the Necronomicon, and who, among Sandman readers, can honestly say they're not quietly hoping to meet Neil Gaiman's Death at the end of all things? Are the new gods of popular culture less valid than the half-forgotten gods of ancient myth? Does it make just as much sense to invoke Superman as Thor? This panel will explore popular culture through the eyes of the neo-pagan, offering diverse perspectives on finding power and magic in the archetypes of modern fiction and the advantages and dangers of knowingly mixing 'reality' and 'fantasy' - if those terms even fully apply.

(Obviously this could be a rather sensitive subject for some. But it's nevertheless a subject I've given a lot of thought to, and I'd love to foster some discussion on the topic.)
Themiscyra

Re: Blurring The Lines: Paganism and Popular Culture

Postby Themiscyra » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:45 pm

After a bit of a slow start, I think this panel went quite well last year. I'd like to bring it back, and perhaps expand on the concept somewhat - maybe this could integrate otherkin, therianthropes, and similar subcultures tied (for good or ill) into popular culture, since the otherkin panel itself failed to launch for Arisia 2014.
Themiscyra

Return to Communities ideas