Building the beloved

Workshops that can be done at con.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Building the beloved

Postby awexelblat » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:12 am

People have a long history of recreating elements of beloved SF/F culture. Whether it's a full-sized replica of the Enterprise bridge, an AT-AT treehouse, or a 5000-piece Lego model of the Millenium Falcon, people have poured uncountable dollars and hours into their recreations. Now maker technologies such as 3-D printing as well as sharing sites from Thingverse to YouTube are making it easier than ever to find ways to have your very own look-alike phaser or elven warrior helmet. What are the best sources for replica materials and designs? What do you need to do to take an image from the screen and turn it into a buildable model? How does a fan with lots of enthusiasm but no extraordinary skills keep from getting in over their head?
awexelblat

Re: Building the beloved

Postby hallam » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Yep, I think there would be a lot of interest from attendees.

But there does not seem to be so much from the convention organizers. I offered to bring my full size TARDIS hero prop along with my dalek for 2015. No reply at all.

I don't think CNC does very much on this sort of scale actually. I have all the toys and so far have not used more than a table saw, jointer and planer to make 2/3 of the TARDIS.
hallam

Postby gzeb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:22 pm

The scale modeling panel back in Jan. was actually fairly well attended given that it basically conflicted with Masquerade. We focused on scale modeling in SFF and gaming, but I'm sure there are people who are also interested in other areas such as prop replication, home decor, car detailing, and Lego creations.
gzeb

Postby awexelblat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:14 pm

I would love a panel on "Making your own props". I've watched a lot of videos of pros doing it (e.g. Adam Savage's stuff) and realized if I tried anything like that I would get in over my head so fast I would never find the surface again. Plus I don't have a personal workshop. So am I doomed? What can a casual hobbyist really hope to achieve?
awexelblat

Postby MichaelMeissner » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:42 pm

Over in the costuming forum, I just proposed a Prop makers meet and greet for people to get together a celebrate the prop. http://forums.arisia.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1494
MichaelMeissner

Return to Maker forum