Mobile gaming: the phone and the tablet

Panels, lectures, demonstrations, set up a game and play it!

Moderators: mjs, omly

Mobile gaming: the phone and the tablet

Postby shirleymarquez » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:32 am

In another topic somebody incorrectly stated that the largest selling game platform is now the iPhone (and iPad). But the reason it's only #2 is because it's being outsold by Android. How many phones and tablets are actually being used to play games is a harder question but it's certainly not a small number; I see people huddled over their phones gaming nearly every time I ride the T.

Mobile gaming is a huge phenomenon. A few developers are making big money at it. Rovio, the developer of Angry Birds, is a good example - they're even selling real-world Angry Birds products now. Many more are making modest sums of money or giving away games as a labor of love.

What will the impact of this be? Does it mean even more people spending more time gaming? Are dedicated portable game platforms like the PSP and the Nintendo DS dead, or at least the last of their kind ever? What kinds of games have been done well on phones and tablets, what kinds COULD be done but haven't been yet, and what kinds are ill-suited to the platform? Will wireless networks collapse if MMOs go mobile? (Limited function Second Life viewers already exist for iOS and Android but not many people are using them yet.) Will there continue to be a place for new developers or will the big boys of computer gaming move in and conquer the space?
shirleymarquez

Re: Mobile gaming: the phone and the tablet

Postby LongHairedSfFan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 pm

When I posted about Iphone being the leader in the gaming platform, that was true at the time,
Android was not as big at the time. (Look for Android to take a big hit now that Apple has
won it's patent infringement suit with Samsung is petitioning to have a large number
of their phones removed from the market in the US of A.)

But the larger point I was making is Playstation/Nintendo/X Box took a huge hit because they
priced their games too high. Alot of people discovered that you can get a game on the
iphone for a couple of dollars when a game on the Playstation/Nintendo/X Box platforms were
in the $30-$60 range. it comes down to pure economics.

[I would also mention Android has a lot of issues with malware, an OS that crashes alot,
and doesn't have the quality control that Apple has. It took Google a long time to remove
malicious apps even when those apps were stealing credit card numbers, bank account
numbers, etc. Look for Apple to re-assert itself now that the Iphone 5 is coming out.]

But the larger question is can Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft survive having their
games priced so high?
LongHairedSfFan

Re: Mobile gaming: the phone and the tablet

Postby LongHairedSfFan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:24 pm

[quote="shirleymarquez"]In another topic somebody incorrectly stated that the largest selling game platform is now the iPhone (and iPad). But the reason it's only #2 is because it's being outsold by Android. How many phones and tablets are actually being used to play games is a harder question but it's certainly not a small number; I see people huddled over their phones gaming nearly every time I ride the T.

You are aware that with the iphone there are a number of multi player games that
allow you to connect wirelessly with other players?.
LongHairedSfFan

Return to Gaming ideas