Second Life at 10: is it still relevant?

Panels, lectures, demonstrations, set up a game and play it!

Moderators: mjs, omly

Second Life at 10: is it still relevant?

Postby shirleymarquez » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm

The Second Life virtual world celebrated its 10th birthday in June 2013. (Second Life left beta on June 23, 2003; residents who were involved in the beta test were involved earlier.) It is not the only attempt at an open-ended virtual platform (one where the platform does not impose goals as a game does) with primarily user created content, but it is the most commercially successful.

In the early days of Second Life there were grand dreams about how it would become the 3D version of the World Wide Web and change the world. That has not happened. Whether some form of virtual world technology will eventually accomplish that is part of the question that this panel would be about. There are really two interrelated questions, but I believe both could be addressed in one panel:

1. Is a virtual world platform a compelling idea? Will virtual worlds ever become a core part of our connected environment?
2. Will Second Life be a part of that?
shirleymarquez

Re: Second Life at 10: is it still relevant?

Postby AndyRobot800 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 pm

I like this idea a lot.

I always felt like Second Life was... a really good idea. And it's probably what the Internet will look like in 20 years. It just wasn't quite ready yet. Or the world wasn't ready. Or something. I don't know.

There was a brief period of time when I DJed in Second Life. I "spun" at Goth and Indie clubs "in-world" - Mind you, this was during a period of my life when I was broke, underemployed, and mildly depressed, so I wasn't going out very much. Nowadays, I'm employed, not broke, engaged to be married, and reasonably happy, so there's not as much of a need anymore. I don't think I've been "in world" in three years.
AndyRobot800

Re: Second Life at 10: is it still relevant?

Postby Themiscyra » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 pm

I quite like this idea as well. I haven't logged on to Second Life in some time...I joined some years ago, had a premium membership for a while, then dropped out. I think it's an idea that had a lot of potential, but the land barons ruined the public spaces for me, and the price of private islands is entirely too high for the average person. It doesn't seem like anyone has really managed to create the reasonably priced wide-open sandbox I've been looking for, but Second Life, with its incredible customization tools and the nigh-limitless possibilities of user-created content, has probably come closest.
Themiscyra

Return to Gaming ideas