Fight & Write

Panels, lectures, workshops.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Fight & Write

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 pm

I would like to do a semi hands-on 'fight scene writing' panel where each panelist explains a brief fight scene mechanics from a writing standpoint and then physically mock-acts it with the other panelists and/or audience members. These are the types of fight scenes I think writing track members would enjoy:

1) Something with swords
2) Something with a dagger/knife
3) Something using bare hands/available items
4) Something with a projectile weapon gun/raygun

The purpose of the panel is to educate writing track members about what makes a good fight scene and then teach them how to spot and break down a fight so they can write about it. Panelists should be chosen who have some proficiency with the weapon they describe and are perhaps also writers, but if they are not both, the other panelists can then explain it from a writing standpoint.

Some attention should be paid to writing a smaller, weaker protagonist for each weapon such as a woman, an elderly person, a disabled or injured person, etc., and the effects of clothing on usability (i.e., a female Steampunk protagonist probably wouldn't carry a sword, but she might keep a derringer strapped to her thigh or dagger tucked into her boot or corset.

This class should also be FUN to do. Ideally the audience will get a few giggles while they learn.
Anna_erishkigal

Re: Fight & Write

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Bumping this back up for A'16
Anna_erishkigal

Postby kmondschein » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:40 pm

I enjoyed this last year and would like to be on the panel.

—Ken Mondschein
kmondschein

Postby sethg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm

I enjoyed this in A’15 and A’16 and hope it returns in A’17. The “take a written fight scene and act it out” aspect keeps it fresh.
sethg

Return to Literature & Writing ideas