C'thulhu Mythos beyond Lovecraft

Panels, lectures, workshops.

Moderators: mjs, omly

C'thulhu Mythos beyond Lovecraft

Postby joggiwagga » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:25 pm

This is an idea that I've batted around with a few people, and if it is approved, I know of several panelists at least initially interested. I've also never submitted a panel idea before, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong.

The idea of this panel is that Lovecraft's legacy is not his writing so much as the cultural/literary toolbox the C'thulhu mythos provides, and how modern day authors are taking the mythos beyond Lovecraft's limitations. "Lovecraftian" has become synonymous with unnameable, other-dimensional horror.
We see the influences of the stories deeply embedded in pop culture (for example: South Park, Hellboy, World of Warcraft, ...), as well as remixes and transformations like Shoggoth on the Roof and Cthulhu: The Funksical. The original mythos has been expanded and diverse authors are transforming the body of works. People that Lovecraft would have hated are writing their own stories, founding their own publishing companies, and are now taking part in the stories as more than a sidenote or slur.
joggiwagga

Re: C'thulhu Mythos beyond Lovecraft

Postby Raponikoff » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:48 am

I thought this was a great idea when you mentioned it during our shared panel this year and I still hope I can be a part of it.
I'd also suggest that the panel should discuss the ways that Lovecraft opened up a whole tool box for speculative fiction. There are writers such as Laird Barron and Thomas Ligotti who have adapted certain aspects of how Lovecraft's work treats world-building without ever including named Elder Gods in their stories.
Raponikoff

Return to Literature & Writing ideas