On the Origin of Genre: Science Fiction

Panels, lectures, workshops.

Moderators: mjs, omly

On the Origin of Genre: Science Fiction

Postby mjs » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Where did the genre we currently refer to as science fiction come from? Did it originate with Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein"? Shakespeare's "The Tempest"? "The Arabian Nights"? What were the conventions and tropes of the genre at each step along the way? What has changed and why? The hard SF of today would be barely recognizable to a reader of what was called "scientific romances" at the turn of the 20th century. How far has it come? And where is it going?
mjs

Re: On the Origin of Genre: Science Fiction

Postby millerdan2009 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi, all,

I would be very interested in attending a panel on this topic, even if I don't feel qualified to sit on such a panel. Great idea.

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Re: On the Origin of Genre: Science Fiction

Postby swilk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:08 pm

I'd be interested in either attending or in being on the panel. This topic has fascinated me for many years. There is no one "beginning" to science fiction, but you can point to aspects of it across the years -- Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's travels" has aspects, as does Voltaire's response, "Micromegas". Johann Kepler wrote what is arguably SF. Edgar Allen Poe deserves some credit (one of his works even gave the modern resolution of Olbers' Paradox). Jules Verne, despite the efforts of some critics to separate him from science fiction, is virtually the poster child for hard sf. And there are a great many virtually forgotten practitioners from the 19th century.
swilk

Return to Literature & Writing ideas