Full Size TARDIS

Fan interests is a track that focuses on interests within the fannish community. Some of these topics are series specific like fanfic, while others are of more general geek interest such as social media or technology.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Full Size TARDIS

Postby hallam » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Would people like me to bring my full size TARDIS hero prop along?

I am currently working on it at the Artisan's asylum, it has a base, four posts, sign boxes and the start of some side panels. Should be complete by convention time. I can also bring along one or two daleks (one of them is a static prop, it does not move).

Some stats

The base is 63" square and it is 9ft high. It is also quite heavy. So it would have to be set up somewhere that it can be installed and left for the duration.

Unlike the TV prop which is not finished on the inside and has 3 closed sides and one with doors, mine has 2 closed sides and doors front and rear. This is because it will eventually be set up at the entrance to my workshop in a corridor.

Given the size, it would be easiest to move by van. It breaks down into 12 parts (4 doors, 4 sign boxes, base, roof, 2 sides). The pieces will be held together by hinges with removable pins. The longest pieces are the posts which are 6" square and 8' long.

It is not functional (yet).
hallam

Re: Full Size TARDIS

Postby howardbeatman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Someone brought a full-size TARDIS to last January's con, complete with sound effects.
howardbeatman

Postby gzeb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 am

I keep thinking that a discussion for those who want to redecorate a bar, library, den, garage, basement, home theater, or other personal space as a genre theme or location. Maybe some comments on how to put it together, research resources, zoning or building issues, how to keep it real (i.e. sometimes when I hear these stories it ends in divorce). I know there are people who are keen on building full size replicas of stuff like the Tardis or Robot from LIS. I know there is a market for people who do this professionally.

p.s. should such a topic be a "maker" track topic?
gzeb

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Want...

Yes ... please ... bring it to A'16 ... if nobody else gives you a place to put it, see Events. With the release of Doctor Who on Disney Channel this past spring, there's a whole new generation of raving Doctor Who fans among tweens.
Anna_erishkigal

Return to Fan Interest ideas