Where are the dang rocketships?

Fan interests is a track that focuses on interests within the fannish community. Some of these topics are series specific like fanfic, while others are of more general geek interest such as social media or technology.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Where are the dang rocketships?

Postby Gecko » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:53 am

One of the complaints of the Puppy side is the rise of 'literary' SF crowding out 'old fashioned' SF that we grew up on. Enough with the twee gender dystopias full of alienated teenage girls. We want rocketships with frickin lasers!

I've submitted panel ideas on this topic in the past and here are two links I included.

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6085
https://www.facebook.com/brad.torgersen ... 18?fref=nf
Gecko

Re: Where are the dang rocketships?

Postby Selkiechick » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:10 pm

See I like rocketships full of alienated teenage girls....
Selkiechick

Re: Where are the dang rocketships?

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Yes ... more space travel. But it -has- to appeal to modern readers who, these days, tend to skew heavily towards girls and women.

Cinder (Cyber Cinderella) did -very- well in both the YA and A crowd on my Lovers of Paranormal community marketed as a teenage love story with a space component.

Cinder (same book) attracted NO readers in my Space Opera Fans community because the kids aren't even picking up sci-fi books anymore because they've gained such a 'Puppy' stigma as books for old white men.

This makes me very sad :-( Sad Kitty. Can we start a counter group called Sad Kitty, where all the sad sci-fi loving moms of both teenage girls and boys are really sad because they can't find many good books that appeal to young people anymore that have both spaceships and inter-personal development in them?
Anna_erishkigal

Return to Fan Interest ideas