majQa'!: The Klingon Language and You

Fan interests is a track that focuses on interests within the fannish community. Some of these topics are series specific like fanfic, while others are of more general geek interest such as social media or technology.

Moderators: mjs, omly

majQa'!: The Klingon Language and You

Postby millerdan2009 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi, all,

{Posting in honor of Star Trek's 50th anniversary.}

In her In the Land of Invented Languages, author Arika Okrent notes that the Klingon language is both one of the lowest rungs on the fan totem pole—allegedly—and nevertheless one of the most popular aspects of the world of Star Trek. With its very own Berlitz-esque academy—the Klingon Language Institute—that holds an annual meeting at WorldCon, as well as hundreds, if not thousands, of fans fluent in its spoken and written forms, Klingon has inspired linguists both old and new, and gave birth to the phenomenon of linguists contributing invented languages to SFnal works, from Dothraki to Na'vi. Come celebrate this great linguistic endeavor with Arisia '16, and "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam"!

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Re: majQa'!: The Klingon Language and You

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Some of us were just brainstorming about stuff other than the usual 'five talking heads' and lamenting the paucity of panels where you walk out the door and feel like you actually learned to DO something, not just listen to other people talk about it. Why not add a 'learn some Klingon' component? Set up a blackboard/whiteboard. Make up some flashcards. Teach audience members to say some funny things in Klingon. Make the audience laugh as volunteers come up from the audience and butcher the Klingon language?
Anna_erishkigal

Postby millerdan2009 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, all,

I hadn't originally thought of Anna's suggestion when I posted this idea, but it really adds an extra, fun dimension to the whole concept. During some brainstorming on Sunday at the Westin, some of us came up with an idea for a line reading of the Klingon Hamlet, and this seems like it meshes quite nicely with that, by way of example.

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Postby Anna_erishkigal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 am

For a some of my panels I do a handout with links/references for further research after the fact. Why not include a little one-sheet photocopied 'Klingon Travel Guide' with Klingon phrases and words and bogus 'reviews' of popular Klingon travel sites, such as Qo'noS? I know somebody posted a guide online that we shouldn't download (for legal reasons) but could provide a link to in a handout? http://lingoberryjam.com/wp-content/upl ... r-Trek.pdf

Are you planning a pilgrimage to Qo'noS? Beef up your knowledge of the Klingon language with our five panelists, who will teach you important phrases, such as 'I'll have a bloodwine' or 'I challenge you to combat.'
Anna_erishkigal

Return to Fan Interest ideas