Sexuality in Star Trek

Fan interests is a track that focuses on interests within the fannish community. Some of these topics are series specific like fanfic, while others are of more general geek interest such as social media or technology.

Moderators: mjs, omly

Sexuality in Star Trek

Postby millerdan2009 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi, all,

{Posting this idea to tie in with the 50th anniversary of the début of Star Trek, though I'm not 100% sure whether Fan Interest is the appropriate forum; in advance, I apologize if my terminology and so forth are inapt, and I welcome any attempts as revising this précis to a better presentation.}

Ever since Star Trek débuted on TV in 1966, it has more or less been on the forefront of portraying interracial relationships in a positive manner, to the point even of showing interspecies relationships as healthy and productive—witness Sarek and Amanda Grayson. However, when it comes to transgender relationships, not so much, at least on screen; critics of Star Trek have repeatedly commented on missed opportunities and the significance of such relationships' absence. Why is the one, but not the other, apparently seen by The Powers That Be as normalized in the 23rd century and later? And how can Star Trek improve this track record in the future?

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Return to Fan Interest ideas