I wouldn't run unless zombies were chasing me....

Fan interests is a track that focuses on interests within the fannish community. Some of these topics are series specific like fanfic, while others are of more general geek interest such as social media or technology.

Moderators: mjs, omly

I wouldn't run unless zombies were chasing me....

Postby Selkiechick » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 pm

There are more and more fun and interesting ways of getting one's exercise in, from Wii fit, DDR and other fitness games to events like "Run for your Life" a 5k race, where you run from people dressed as zombies overland and through obstacles (or chase people over land through obstacles, dressed as a zombie...) There are all kinds of classes in from dance to circus acrobatics, some of which are known as being nonjudgmental places for people of all shapes, sizes and levels of expertise or coordination.

What are your favorite programs, what else is out there that is geeky, fun and also... active.
Selkiechick

Re: I wouldn't run unless zombies were chasing me....

Postby LJS » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:13 pm

I'd love to see a panel on Start-to-Six' Zombie's Run -- it's a free app (paid version has more features) that's part exercise app, part storytelling, and part game. If you can walk at more than a shuffle, you can use it.

It's the sort of thing that ought to get fans off their couches.
LJS

Re: I wouldn't run unless zombies were chasing me....

Postby LJS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 pm

I saw part of the panel on this -- while I like the idea of active hobbies like SCA, bellydancing, juggling, etc. and those are good panel topics, I think there's room for a separate panel on computer aided exercise to get one off the couch. This story was published during the con, for example --

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/h ... story.html
LJS

Return to Fan Interest ideas