I Got Nothing Done in 1999: Waiting for The Phantom Menace

Panels, lectures, hands on, viewing.

Moderators: mjs, omly

I Got Nothing Done in 1999: Waiting for The Phantom Menace

Postby sydtol1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Regardless of how it turned out, the year or so leading up to the release of Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace in May of 1999 remains one of the most hyped and exciting in living memory. An entire generation of fans eagerly anticipated the return of the Star Wars saga to our lives after sixteen years of waiting. A year spent devouring every shred of information, spending hours downloading a tiny Quicktime teaser trailer and then watching it over and over again, and waiting in line at the theater for weeks because why not, TPM remains arguably the most hyped piece of entertainment in recent history, a film so pumped up by both the studio and by our own expectations that not even the Citizen Kane of space opera could have possibly lived up to it. Now, sixteen years on the other side of the film's release, we remember the overwhelming excitement, the reconnection to a franchise a lot of us had left behind, and the inevitable slow comedown once we had time to really sit and think about what Lucas actually made.
sydtol1

Re: I Got Nothing Done in 1999: Waiting for The Phantom Mena

Postby millerdan2009 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi, all,

I especially like this idea for a panel, because we will have the opportunity to compare our experiences vis-à-vis The Phantom Menace with those vis-à-vis Episode VII, as well as the films themselves. Good call.

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Postby sydtol1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 am

I'd also like to clarify that I would see this as a more positive-leaning conversation, focusing on the excitement and the anticipation, and the rekindling of a long-dormant fandom, rather than presenting people with yet another opportunity to proclaim that they didn't like a movie sixteen years ago.
sydtol1

Postby millerdan2009 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi, all,

sydtol1 wrote:I'd also like to clarify that I would see this as a more positive-leaning conversation, focusing on the excitement and the anticipation, and the rekindling of a long-dormant fandom, rather than presenting people with yet another opportunity to proclaim that they didn't like a movie sixteen years ago.

I tend to agree that this conversation should lean more towards the positive, at least supposing Episode VII has some merit. If it's an unredeemable piece of garbage—which, BTW, I am decidedly not anticipating—then of course the conversation may well skew negative, but if it's at least reasonably better than The Phantom Menace, then there's all the more reason for the panel to skew positive.

And, that being said, even The Phantom Menace has its partisans, and if this panel gets such individuals on it, it will even more likely skew positive. (At least I hope so.)

Thanks,

Danny
millerdan2009

Return to Films & Video ideas