Restaurant recommendations

Moderator: mjs

Restaurant recommendations

Postby Selkiechick » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 pm

I know the there has been quite a bit of change in the past couple of years in the Waterfront District. Does anyone have any good recommendations for either excellent takeout, or places that will be well worth the trek in January? I like drink on Congress Street- its a lovely bar, and the folks there make VERY tasty drinks.
Selkiechick

Re: Restaurant recommendations

Postby deguspice » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 am

"KO Catering and Pies" on A Street in South Boston makes small, single serve Australian meat (and veggie) pies. They also have other Australian items on their menu.

http://www.kocateringandpies.com/

It's a mile from the hotel.
Benjamin Levy
A15 Assistant Con Chair
deguspice

Postby Mexico » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 am

Lucky's is pretty amazing. It's a Sinatra-themed speakeasy down the road from the hotel.

It's at 355 Congress St (down and across from Drink, basement level entrance on the corner). Comfort food and lounge singers.

It's a little hard to get to accessibly from the hotel - the most direct route is to walk a long block towards downtown on Summer St and take the rickety metal stairs to the A St underpass. It's at the end of the block.

www.luckyslounge.com
Mexico

Postby Tigira » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

I really like the No Name Restaurant. It's at 15 1/2 Fish Pier Street West, and is a short walk from the hotel - it's a pretty straight shot to Fish Pier.

The seafood has always been excellent, there, but it's not at all fancy. Go in garb, go in jeans, go in a formal, they don't care.
Tigira

Postby Megatron » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Yankee Lobster Company - very small dining area but the food is really good. No frills and you have to go to counter to order but it was worth it

http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/
Megatron

Postby paradoox » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 am

If anyone is interested in helping to check the information in the previous Restaurant Guide, please reply here. Lia and I were thinking of taking an evening or weekend day and going around to make sure that the restaurants were still in business and checking their hours, etc. Being about to split the list with some more people would make it easier.
paradoox

Postby Mary.D » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Temazcal Tequila Cantina at 250 Northern Ave (between Boston Fish Pier & Trilling Way) in the same building as Jerry Remy's place is a really good for groups, but not kids. It's Mexican-fusion with a trendy ambiance and a great bar. Though it is a bit pricy, it would be a fun place to get in the mood for a great Sunday Masquerade show. :D
MARY DUMAS
Division Head, Multimedia
multimedia@arisia.org
* This is the NEWEST DIVISION of ARISIA! Includes Film, Video, Anime, Tabletop Gaming, LARPS, and NEW THIS YEAR the WEB and VIDEO GAMING *
(Looking for a few good Area Heads, so email me)
Mary.D

Postby paradoox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm

paradoox

Postby paradoox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 pm

For the record, I'm told all the places above except Larry Q's were already in the restaurant guide. People might want to take a look at http://2011.arisia.org/sites/2011.arisi ... tGuide.pdf which is what we are starting from this year.

The plan is also to include most of the restaurants listed in the Boskone Restaurant Guide (*). Last years Boskone Guide is at http://www.nesfa.org/boskone/b49/RestGuide.pdf.

* This year the plan is for Arisia and Boskone to do a combined restaurant guide. It hasn't worked out yet if there will be two different covers or one cover referencing both conventions or something else.
paradoox

Postby Selkiechick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 pm

I am free Sat the 29th or Sunday the 30th to check out Restaurants, if that weekend works out.
Selkiechick

Next

Return to General questions